- Upload a great profile picture, either your corporate logo or a professionally taken head shot of you – an egghead picture doesn’t tend to encourage people to follow you.
- Be creative when describing your firm optimizing your biography. Use key buzzwords to add punch and impact. If you’re not sure how to do this, find a good SEO copywriter to help you out.
- Add your website address to your profile. This is valuable real-estate for bringing traffic to your website! Most people won’t go into your whole profile where your website might be posted so make it easy for them to click through.
- Have your background template branded professionally. You will be taken more seriously. It may costs less than you think, and the payback from having a professional looking Twitter account is well worth the investment.
- Include key contact information and your area of expertise so that people know about your services and are able to contact you.
- Check your settings to make sure you receive an email when you receive a direct message from a follower. Many times they’re automated but sometimes a personal message is sent (though there is a way to use the automated DM function in a value-added way). But if someone real wants information about your business, you’ll want to get back to them quickly.
- Although Twitter allows you 140 characters, keep your tweets to 120. This allows people the opportunity to retweet or resend your tweets, and to add a comment to their own followers.
- When you retweet someone, try to add a comment in order to add value to your mention of their tweet.
- Seek out and answer questions that people asked related to your niche. This increases your value as a leader in your field.
- Thank people for retweeting you and ask a question to get a conversation started. People love to be acknowledged, and you’ll stand out for your courtesy.
- Make sure you tweet original content that has great value – don’t just have a stream of RT’s of other people. If someone wants to promote you, that makes it quite difficult to do so.
But most importantly, have fun. Get to know new people. Share and comment. That is what social media is all about!
Did you find this helpful? Tweet this!